Thursday, August 3, 2017

Wow... hiatus much?

Wow, people of the Internet.

I haven't blogged in SOOOOO long!!!

Why?

Well, I'm freaking tired, pretty much.

Also, I haven't found a cost effective way to print my blog, so I kinda feel like everything I write on here is doomed to disappear into oblivion at some point in the future, and will never be shelved with my voluminous collection of journals. Seriously. I'm working on my 14th journal this year. I didn't even start journaling regularly until I was in my late teens. And this? This is a cool place to write words that other people may read, but I feel like I'm going to lose them, and they will never be preserved for my progeny.

Same with Facebook. Could someone please invent a cost effective way to print out your Facebook? That is SUCH an interesting peek into the lives and interests of the early 21st Century that historians of the future would be ecstatic to get their hands on.

You know, because 300 years from now, all things on the Internet will probably be lost. I really doubt anybody keeps physical archives of everybody's social media accounts, and all that data is going to get overwritten at some point.

Or lost in a techpocalypse.

A techpocalypse that occurs after all physical books have been converted to digital format, and there has been a movement to "save the trees" by outlawing the printing of new physical books, and bunches of paper books have been burned to make a statement against the destruction of trees for paper, and then World War III breaks out and the physical archives are all burned on both sides, and THEN there's the techpocalypse.

Of course, following that scenario, 1500 years later, historians would try to piece together the pantheon of the ancient world. This pantheon would included gods like Tweeton, who could change from human to bird, flying the globe in a matter of seconds, delivering firy justice, typically for fairly petty offenses.

There would also be the goddess Instagrametha, the goddess of beauty and vanity, who strangely carried an intense distain for female nudity, and would banish all humans who dared to show women in the "tasteless" form of nude, even if it was merely nude from the waist up.

The historians would be unsure of the role of the god Tumbliter, but they would assume from what little they could find of his worshippers that he generally rewarded sarcasm and held the fair skinned in great disdain.

Then they would keep finding references to some Tome of Heads that they couldn't quite figure out. From all those references it would seem that this book was fairly ubiquitous in the society, and nearly everyone made it a goal to write in it. Or on it. They would never be quite sure. Perhaps it was not a book. Perhaps it was a wall, as so many references would seem to suggest. This Tome of Heads would certainly be the greatest mystery the ancients had left behind.

Basically, writing in a blog seems so transient... such a fragile record. Why would I keep writing in it?

Maybe because I miss actually speaking to an audience when I write down my thoughts.

Yeah. There's also that.

And maybe, sometime in the future, someone will offer a "print your blog" service where you can print 7 years of blogging without it costing upwards of $200. Then I can make a huge volume and stick it on my journal shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment