Friday, October 1, 2010

What was my name again?

So, I was sitting in class, and my teacher was looking at the roll, and called a name to say the prayer. 

"Samantha?" he called.

My head popped up.  "Me?"

No. 

No, my name is not Samantha. 

You may be wondering, how could I have forgotten this fact?  I mean, I know I occasionally have issues with memory.  Those who live with me have frequently witnessed the following scene:

"Bye!"
*Door closes*
*Door opens*
"Hi!"
"What did you forget?"
"Cell phone.  Bye again!"
*Door closes*
*Door opens*
"Hi!"
"Forget something else?"
"Yeah, I forgot my purse too.  Bye!"
*Door closes*
*Door opens*
"Keys!"
"Really?"

Still, memory issues aside, thinking my name is Samantha is a little much.  What could ever cause me to answer to it?

Well, I'll tell you... even though you never actually asked. 

I asked. 

And now I'm answering.

When I was in primary, my teachers could never remember my name.  They all called me Samantha.  I swear, it was never Savannah, or any other name.  Always Samantha.
So, I just started answering to it.
Then I moved.  There was a girl in my new class named Samantha.  You'd think they'd figure it out, since there was only one Samantha in the class, and it wasn't me, but no.  They stilled called me Samantha.

There was one moment where the teacher was actually talking to the real Samantha and I answered.

Yeah, that was embarrassing.

Since I've gotten older, people have gotten more creative.  In addition to being named Savannah, I also answer to the following names:

Shannon
Sabrina
Sarah
Susannah
Sylvia
Shauna (Is this even a name???)
Sandra
Jackie

Tell you what, if you can at least remember the first letter of my name, and call me something that starts with an S, chances are I've been called it before and I will answer to it.

In fact, a couple days ago at work, this lady I had talked to filled out a survey to say I was awesome  (Yes, I was quite pleased to receive those marks from a customer, in case you're wondering).  In her comments, she said, "I wish I could remember her name, but she was so wonderful!" 
Well... whatever. 
It was what I did, not my name that made the impression, right?
Then I had to call her back to finish up some business.  I made sure to say, "Hi!  This is SAVANNAH, calling with Tahitian Noni International."  She said, "Oh, I'm so sorry I couldn't remember your name for that survey!  I hope they know it was you I was talking about!"  I said, "Don't worry about it.  They know," then completed the business.  As we were about to hang up, she said, "Thanks again for all the great help, Stephanie!  I really appreciate it."

What did I say?

"You're welcome.  Have a great day."

And that, my friends, is why you can now address me as "Your Majesty."

2 comments:

  1. My cousin's name is Shauna. Recently people have been calling ME Stephanie! It's nothing close to my name!!! The name people most often confuse my name with is Melissa. I don't answer to it, EVER.

    ReplyDelete