Monday, September 27, 2010

I learn something new today!

So, while babysitting my one year old niece, I attempted to get my homework done.  While reading about England in the 12th century, my textbook informed me that knights didn't kill each other in battle.  They tried to only take prisoners that they could hold for ransom.  They were a gentle bunch, bound together in Christ-like love.  This was news to me!  I was under the impression that knights did any number of heinous things to each other in war.  I mean, we're talking 12th century, here.  This is the same exact era as the Crusades, in which they may have been "bound together," but there certainly wasn't anything Christian about their behavior.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.  After long and philosophical thought that took all my powers of reason, I came to the conclusion that people trained for war (ie, knights) are a violent bunch.  Yep!  You can all applaud the sheer genius that conclusion required. 

Knights stabbed each other, whacked each other with morning stars (e.g. "spikey sticks"), and as we all know from the ultimate authority on medieval tournaments, A Knight's Tale, hid spikes in their lances during "friendly" jousting tournaments.

Besides, if my one year old niece has the disposition to bludgeon me with a metal serving spoon while simultaneously snuggling her little cheek against my chest, I highly doubt the warriors of the Crusades had the disposition for "brotherly love and kindness" in the heat of battle with each other.

Sorry, textbook, but the primary source, quoted from a monk who lived in the time period being discussed here, which blatantly contradicts such well-researched evidence as Heath Ledger's performance or my own philosophical observations about the violent behavior of toddlers (no, really!  She grasped me around the neck with both of her hands, and then laughed as I made gagging noises!  She's a homicidal maniac!) is far from sufficient to convince me.  Really, textbook.  Get some reliable sources.

1 comment:

  1. Heh heh. I love the facetiousness. You know, I'm pretty sure that, though I get all the credit for being snarky, you are the true snark in our apartment.

    ReplyDelete