Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spiritual Thought for Easter

As I dug the knife into the whole pie, cutting out a slice for myself and my husband, I had an interesting thought.

Here I was, preparing to eat a slice of pie.  I had absolutely no room in my stomach for this pie.  In fact, this was going to be taking me from "uncomfortably full" to "why do I do this to myself?" agony.  This was after pineapple-glazed ham, Hawaiian sweet rolls with butter, herb red potatoes, Caesar salad, and apple-passion-mango juice.

But... I couldn't not eat the pie.  I mean... it's Easter!  How can you pass up dessert?  You're not celebrating right.

So, I ate the pie.

I now regret it.

As I was eating, it occurred to me I did the same thing at Christmas.  This is what most people do.  Eat a feast to celebrate the holiday.  It's tradition!

The two holidays we have devoted to Christ - Christmas and Easter - have a long standing tradition of being celebrated with gluttony... one of the seven deadly sins.

We Christians are a funny lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment