Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pretty sure I'll always be a country girl.

Today I stepped out of my mom's truck after a 2 hour long flight from Salt Lake City to Kansas City.  I stepped out onto the driveway of our 80 acre farm, and let me tell you what... it was PERFECT!
The weather was about 70 degrees, with humid air and a good breeze.  That breeze blasted me with the scent of blossoms, grass and fresh dirt as my bare toes sunk into the soft, freshly rained on yard.  It was incredible.  I had actually forgotten what it smells like here. 

After dropping off my bags, I picked up my little niece and took her out to the rope swing, where I spent a few minutes rocketing her in her little baby-swing between myself and my dad.  After the novelty of flight had worn off a bit, we walked around the orchard.  I had to step carefully that time - that grass is filled with sticks and even a few stray raspberry branches, and my callouses aren't what they used to be when I was a kid.  Over by the cherries there was some wild spearmint growing, so Sophie and I picked some leaves to smell.  Then I carried her to a little patch of weeds and showed her what poison ivy was, telling her not to touch it.  She probably didn't really get it - poison ivy looks remarkably like clover when all you're doing is counting leaves - but it was still fun.

A little later, Barry came home.  I haven't seen him in over 2 years!  He took me out to the pasture and taught me how to shoot his rifle at an empty oil jug (which I hit at 75 yards away... not bad for a first time) until we got in trouble for spooking the horses.  Then we sat in his room and talked for hours.

When evening came, we sat on the porch and watched the storm roll in.  About the time the wind picked up it was sunset.  Beneath the thick, grey clouds, there was a line of brilliant orange across the horizon, and a pinkish hue to the north.  Around the barn and above our heads the clouds were roiling and spinning as lightning bolts shot sideways across the sky.

Now I'm sitting at home, having scriptures and prayer with my family while thunder rumbles in the background.  I've spent the whole day basking in the memories, the smell of the farm, and the warm, humid air.  When I'm in my little apartment in the middle of Provo, I know I miss home, but it's not until I come back and actually feel myself in it that I remember all those little details.

I love the country.

1 comment:

  1. Wait...what's humidity?

    You mean you actually have green there??

    Nice storm vignette. Very cool.

    Green, storms, and not mosquitos: the three things I miss about Missouri.

    ReplyDelete